Make a Difference at Trail Blazers
Welcome to one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences you will ever have
Thank you for your interest in either volunteering or becoming a staff member. If you are interested in volunteering or applying for a summer job, you are in the right place! Please be sure to read everything and feel free to contact us with any questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Many people have described their time at Trail Blazers as one of the most challenging, and yet rewarding, experiences that they have had. The program is certainly not for everyone, and we urge you to think very carefully about your goals and reasons for seeking employment at a summer camp before applying to work at Trail Blazers.
- Lifeguard Training: June 10 – June 15
- Enablers and Specialists: June 12
- All Group Leaders – General Training: June 15 – June 26
- Session 1: June 27 – July 10
- Session 2: July 12 – July 25
- Session 3: July 28 – August 10 (1/3 of staff leaves at the end of this session)
- Session 4: August 12 – August 25 (smaller session, 2/3 of staff stays on)
- Close down: August 25, 26, 27
- Staff leaves evening of August 27
Group Leaders can choose a 10 week contract (last day on or about August 27) or an 8 week contract (last day on or about August 12).
Trail Blazers is hiring for several positions for the summer of 2013 – see details. If you are interested, send in an application online.
Staff members and volunteers are all screened carefully. Even if you wish to volunteer, we ask you complete an online application.
To assess whether Trail Blazers is a good match for you, it is important that you take a close look at this site and have a good sense of what the experience at Trail Blazers is like. More so than at other programs, the match between Trail Blazers and yourself will determine your experience.
Are you a Trail Blazer?
Our best staff members are people who:
- Possess a strong desire to make a difference in the life of a child
- Have an appreciation of and interest in the natural world
- Have previous experience working with children, particularly children from the inner city
- High levels of enthusiasm, leadership, and patience are necessary
- Have obtained, or are pursuing, a degree in education, sociology, psychology, criminal justice, environmental education, outdoor education, or social work
- Are willing and able to facilitate children’s growth in a challenging, rustic environment
- Have previous experience, even if informal, with backpacking, camping, hiking, or other adventure-based activities
- Are at least 19 years old and have had at least one year of post-high school experience
Please Note: Our Human Resources Department is managed by Vacamas Programs for Youth. When filling out the staff application, you will be asked to indicate which program you are applying for – be sure to fill in Trail Blazers so your application is forwarded to the right person.
After you have applied: If appropriate, we will contact you. A personal interview is a crucial part of the process, and we encourage you to make a conscious choice for our program. We will make a very informed decision about hiring you. Upon a satisfactory interview, we will arrange a contract for you. You will be hired once you have submitted this signed contract, a complete resume and your references and background checks are positive.
International Staff: Participants through international exchange programs such as Camp America or InterExchange have to follow the procedure of their respective programs. All internationals have a 10 week contract. (Last day at camp on or about August 27). If you are interested in joining us, we can work with you and your exchange program to arrange a placement at our camp. Even though you have to fill out the application of your exchange program, you will still be required to fill out our application.
For more information: If you want to learn more about our program, there is lot of information to read on our website, as well as our blog and photo gallery. Also, check out our newsletter to read more about this past summer and our organization in general.
Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.