2019 Overnight Camp – Preparation Email #1
Your Child’s Summer
At Trail Blazers, we envision a world of children and young adults who are productive, responsible and compassionate citizens in their communities. Our camp programs emphasize play and small group experiences, and focus on showing care for ourselves, each other, our community, and the environment.
We are so excited that you have chosen Trail Blazers Overnight Camp for your child this summer.
Registration – Payment and Commitment
Payment must be made in full by June 1 unless prior arrangements have been made. If payment has not been made by this time, your child’s spot will be offered to a family on our waitlist.
You can log into your Active account to review the specifics of your balance.
Registration – Forms
Forms are due June 1.
Please log into your Active account to review the status of your registration forms. Please log into your CampDoc account to complete and review the status of your medical forms. (Note: You must create and sign into your CampDoc account separately. It may take up to 3 days after registering for Trail Blazers for your CampDoc account link to be sent to you.)
You will receive additional email reminders for each individual form that you have outstanding. Please save yourself from this annoyance by turning your forms in on time!
Trail Blazers Policies
Animals and Pets
Animals and pets are not permitted to attend camp with your child.
Lost and Found
Throughout the camp session, lost and found items are brought to a central lost and found box on camp. Groups are encouraged to check the lost and found box daily. On the last day of camp, our staff put on a lost and found show in hopes that all missing items will be claimed.
If upon your child’s return, you discover that items are missing:
- Call or email the camp office with a detailed description of the item(s) within 3 days of your camper’s return
- We will let you know whether your child’s item(s) have been found within one week of their return home
- When possible, we will arrange to have the found items returned to the Brooklyn office or other camper pick up/drop off point
- All lost and found items that remain unclaimed one week after the close of the session may be donated to a local charity
Please label your child’s clothing and belongings, and refrain from sending anything to camp that will be devastating to accidentally leave behind. Trail Blazers is not responsible for any lost clothing or property.
We will always give you a call if your child:
- Has a fever greater than 101
- Spends the night in the health center
- Needs to be taken to the doctor
- Has had a tick embedded under his/her skin (more information on ticks below)
- Experiences an urgent injury or illness necessitating a trip to the hospital
- Is experiencing severe homesickness
- Engages in behavior that puts him/herself or others in danger
We will supply all of the equipment and materials needed for our amazing and fun summer programs. Please leave anything valuable at home! We do not permit campers to have cell phones at camp. We do not allow campers to bring electronics (including cell phones, electronic games, radios), personal sports equipment, or other expensive equipment to camp.
Smoking, Drugs, and Alcohol
Trail Blazers is a smoke free camp. This regulation applies to campers, as well as staff. For the health and safety of our campers, we ask that all parents/guardians refrain from smoking during drop off/pick up.
While riding in camp vehicles, the following rules are in place:
- Seat belts must be worn at all times
- All passengers must remain seated while the vehicle is in motion
- Noise level must be kept to a minimum
- Campers must follow the directions of the staff on board
- All trash must be taken out of the vehicle upon exit
In the event of a change to our transportation plan or an emergency that will affect your camper’s pick-up or drop-off time or location, you will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please make sure that your phone number(s) and email address(es) are up-to-date in our
The possession and use of firearms, weapons and explosive devices is strictly prohibited and will result in dismissal from the program.
A Note on Lyme Disease
Lyme disease is an infectious disease caused by a bacteria spread from ticks to humans. It is not contagious from human-to-human.
Lyme disease is the most common tick borne disease in the U.S. After the tick is attached, it may take as short as 24 hours until transmission occurs. A typical “bull’s eye” rash occurs in 75% of the bites and can occur from 3-30 days with 1 week as the average. Up to 30% of bites do not present with a rash. The incubation period from infection to onset symptoms may vary from several days to months and even years.
To learn more about Lyme disease, visit: http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/
Lyme Disease Precautions
To minimize exposure and risk, we recommend our campers do the following:
- Wear a hat (also for protection against the sun)
- When possible, wear long sleeves and long pants, with pants tucked into socks
- Do regular tick checks on clothes and body
- Spray body with insect repellant spray that is protective against ticks
Our staff reinforces these habits and engage medical staff, if there is a concern. Our medical treatment procedures for handling tick bites are reviewed annually by our partner physician.
Packing and Camp Gear
A full packing list can be found on our website, www.trailblazers.org/overnightcamp
Some things to keep in mind:
- Since we live and play outdoors, clothes can get very dirty or damaged. Please send only your child’s oldest clothing.
- Children should have enough clothes to last at least seven (7) days before their first laundry
day. Laundry will be done once during each 2-week session, for necessary items only.
Camp Gear for Purchase
We offer a variety of camp gear for your camper:
You can purchase items online, select pick up, and mention your child in the notes section. The item will be waiting for your child on the first day of camp.
Here in the office, we are busy getting ready for the amazing summer that is ahead of us! We are super Excited that John is going to be part of it. Remember: you will hear from us again 3 weeks before John’s program begins with more tips and reminders to help you prepare for the summer.
Please call our office if you have any questions – 212.529-5113 ext 1.
Or you can email us at email@example.com.
Thank you for choosing Trail Blazers!
The Trail Blazers Team